In this section of the website you will find out more about our curriculum, how it structured and the subjects within it.
At Severn Vale School we follow the statutory requirements of the National Curriculum at Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4. However, we are keen to ensure that students are educated beyond the strict limits of the National Curriculum and that they undertake a wide range of educational experiences aimed at enriching and extending their abilities and understanding.
Our curriculum offer is broad and balanced but also personalised and inclusive, so as to meet the needs of every individual wherever possible. We recognise the success of our work in this area supports improvements in behaviour and attendance. Courses are sought where teaching styles and assessment methods are best tailored to the learning preferences of all our students.
At the heart of the curriculum at Severn Vale School are 8 aims or guiding principles. These are
- Challenge - the curriculum should be challenging, engaging, enjoyable and motivating for all learners of all abilities. It should encourage all learners to achieve.
- Breadth - offer all learners a breadth of opportunities, both academic and vocational.
- Progression - offer suitable progression routes and keep options open so that routes are not closed off too early.
- Personalisation - responds to individual needs and supports particular aptitudes and talents.
- Relevance - enable learners to understand the purposes of their activities and its relevance to their lives, both present and future.
- Skills – equips students with the skills and creativity they will need to flourish in the 21st Century.
- Holistic – ensuring a balance between the physical, emotional, intellectual, social and spiritual development of the individual